In <4ef583a2.1080...@phoenixsoftware.com>, on 12/23/2011
   at 11:47 PM, Edward Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com> said:

>I am curious: is TSO the only hold-out?

For 7 character userids, probably. However, there are two related
issues that are global:

 1. The current limit of userids to 8 characters is equally
    obsolescent.

 2. The limitation of DSN components no longer makes sense, now
     that IBM has put a stake through the heart of CVOL's.

I agree with Paul that the TSO PROFILE PREFIX should be expanded to 42
characters. Due to control block layouts, expand it or the userid to 8
characters would be as much work as expanding them to a larger size.