On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 17:25:29 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> 1. The current limit of userids to 8 characters is equally
>    obsolescent.
>
> 2. The limitation of DSN components no longer makes sense, now
>     that IBM has put a stake through the heart of CVOL's.

I understand from discussions in these fora that when CVOLs were
supplanted, the limit was consequentially removed.

Some people can't tolerate liberty.

Customers demanded the limit be reinstated.  IBM made it a configuration
option, with the default being the less restrictive.

Customers demanded that the default be restrictive.  IBM acceded.

Even worse, it was done in such a manner that if the customer
reinstated the restriction, it was not possible to uncatalog or rename
data sets created in the interim with names exploiting the
less restrictive convention.

Go figger.

-- gil