On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 23:17 -0500, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
> At 19:20 -0600 on 12/24/2011, Paul Gilmartin wrote about Re:
> Eight-character TSO Userid Support:
>
> >Hmmm.  How many upper-case alphanumeric characters would be needed
> >to provide unique identifiers for all the files an enterprise would ever
> >need?
> >By that metric, 44(8) is more than sufficient.
>
> A dataset name is up to 44 characters long but that is based on a set
> of  36 characters (26 letters and 10 numbers) CURRENTLY broken up
> into 1-8 character blocks separated by periods. The 8 character
> blocks are composed, if I remember correctly of 1 Alpha (A-Z)
> followed by 0-7 Alpha (A-Z) and Numeric (0-9) characters. There may
> also be some special characters in addition to the 36 (I forget).

Each "node" is 1 to 8 characters. First character is alphabetic or a
national character, of which there are three: @#$ in U.S. The other
seven characters may be any of those plus the digits 0 through 9 and a
dash (-). The dash threw me, when I first saw it. I don't know when that
became legal in a DSN.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><