On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 19:19:34 -0500, zMan wrote:

>Yeah, I see the case for 8-character consistency since TSO seems to be
>the weirdo here, but I'm hard-pressed (much as I'd like to see it) to
>find a case for changing the other areas. It ain't broke...

Hmmm.  How many upper-case alphanumeric characters would be needed
to provide unique identifiers for all the files an enterprise would ever need?
By that metric, 44(8) is more than sufficient.

But users will complain that they can readily move their data among
Linux, Windows, Solaris, OS X; for z/OS they must perform
excruciating name transformations.  Such complaints will rise
at least to audibility in the airline magazines which, like it or
not, are a consideration in management decisions.

But z/OS Unix System Services provides an escape from the name
constraints.  IBM should devote effort to elevating z/OS USS to
enterprise strength and not let it remain a marketing gimmick.

-- gil