On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 08:00:17 -0600, John McKown wrote:

>On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 23:17 -0500, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
>> At 19:20 -0600 on 12/24/2011, Paul Gilmartin wrote about Re:
>> Eight-character TSO Userid Support:
>>
>> >Hmmm.  How many upper-case alphanumeric characters would be needed
>> >to provide unique identifiers for all the files an enterprise would ever
>> >need?
>> >By that metric, 44(8) is more than sufficient.
>>
>> A dataset name is up to 44 characters long but that is based on a set
>> of  36 characters (26 letters and 10 numbers) CURRENTLY broken up
>> into 1-8 character blocks separated by periods. The 8 character
>> blocks are composed, if I remember correctly of 1 Alpha (A-Z)
>> followed by 0-7 Alpha (A-Z) and Numeric (0-9) characters. There may
>> also be some special characters in addition to the 36 (I forget).

There's a PARMLIB option that allows the use of far more than 36
(39?) (40?) and removes the 1-8 character blocking requirement.

>Each "node" is 1 to 8 characters. First character is alphabetic or a
>national character, of which there are three: @#$ in U.S. The other
>seven characters may be any of those plus the digits 0 through 9 and a
>dash (-). The dash threw me, when I first saw it. I don't know when that
>became legal in a DSN.

And it's bizarre.  When last I tried it, dash was allowed in the DSN=
parameter, but not in the DCB= parameter of the DD statement.
Go figger.  Conway's law?  Has IBM any good reason not to make
this specification uniform?  It shouldn't take a dammed SHARE
requirement.

I hate JCL!

>> For GDG Datasets, the limit is 39(8) since the last 9 are required
>> for the ".GxxxxVyy" suffix to the GDG File Base Name. What do you
>> mean by 44(8) anyway?

By analogy with the Windows FAT file system limit, often called "8.3".

-- gil