On 2/11/2012 8:31 AM, Dave Day wrote:
The idea of hiring temporary workers, the 'liquid' people referred to in the article, seems to me to be at odds with long term, successful growth.

It's hard for me to understand how any serious development projects can be done by temps. Software development is not a math problem. You can't just throw "bodies" at it to get things done more quickly. You need a smallish group of highly skilled people--the kind that usually have permanent "gigs"--and time for them to learn the infrastructure and architecture before they can be truly useful. Also, as with any complex subject, the learning curves can be fairly steep.

OTOH, perhaps the "projects" they're envisioning don't involve actual development. Maybe they involve customization of OTS packages?

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc