edja...@phoenixsoftware.com (Edward Jaffe) writes:
> It's hard for me to understand how any serious development projects
> can be done by temps. Software development is not a math problem. You
> can't just throw "bodies" at it to get things done more quickly. You
> need a smallish group of highly skilled people--the kind that usually
> have permanent "gigs"--and time for them to learn the infrastructure
> and architecture before they can be truly useful. Also, as with any
> complex subject, the learning curves can be fairly steep.
>
> OTOH, perhaps the "projects" they're envisioning don't involve actual
> development. Maybe they involve customization of OTS packages?

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#74 IBM Doing Some Restructuring

The cp40 paper makes references that small group of skilled experienced
people are much more effective (which would also be cost effective) to
large hords

at the science center we would make references to heads rolled uphill
for failed projects and/or piling bodies to try and save failing
projects ... was attactive to executives since they tended to be
compensated proportional to bodies in the executives
organizations. Problems were frequently proportional to lack of
skill/experience ... but then they would attempt to reframe lack of
skill/experience as some innate difficulty of the task (as opposed to
lack of skills/experience) ... requiring large hordes, much larger
organization, etc.

this shows up in spades in the Future System failure ... some
past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

also referenced in this recent (Greater IBM) post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#104 Can a business be democratic? Tom
Watson Sr. thought so

a smaller scale comparison was the System/R effort ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#systemr

that initially got out as SQL/DS ... being below the corporate radar as
all focus was on the massive EAGLE effort ... then when EAGLE failed
... there was request how fast could there be a port of System/R - SQL/DS
to MVS ... for what becomes DB2.

There is also large intersection with the growing "Success of Failure"
culture ... mentioned in this article
http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0407/040407mm.htm
but has been around in quite some time in many industries.

A possible short-term window is that there may be a pocket of
high-skilled/experienced people that have been laid off in various
employment actions ... which could be available as temporary workers.
This would tend to be a temporary anomoly in a culture transitioning
from long-term, high-skilled workers to lots of focus on 3month horizon.
This is also reflected in statistics of private-equity LBOs where the
focus on short-term payback is eliminating lots of of R&D (that tends to
have payback long after the private-equity event). in another recent
(Greater IBM) posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#4 The Myth of Work-Life Balance
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#57 The Myth of Work-Life Balance
also discussed in these posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#45 You may ask yourself, how did I get
here?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#54 Report: Fed Officials Joke About
Housing Crisis
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#47 Where are all the old tech workers?

past references to growing "Success of Failure" culture
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009o.html#25 Opinions on the 'Unix Haters'
Handbook'
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009o.html#41 U.S. house decommissions its last
mainframe, saves $730,000
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010b.html#19 STEM crisis
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010b.html#26 Happy DEC-10 Day
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#38 F.B.I. Faces New Setback in Computer
Overhaul
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010k.html#18 taking down the machine - z9 series
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010p.html#78 TCM's Moguls documentary series
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010q.html#5 Off-topic? When governments ask
computers for an answer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010q.html#69 No command, and control
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011b.html#0 America's Defense Meltdown
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011c.html#45 If IBM Hadn't Bet the Company
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011g.html#32 Congratulations, where was my invite?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011g.html#34 Congratulations, where was my invite?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011g.html#72 77,000 federal workers paid more than
governors
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011i.html#36 Having left IBM, seem to be reminded
that IBM is not the same IBM I had joined
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011i.html#79 Innovation and iconoclasm
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011j.html#33 China Builds Fleet of Small Warships
While U.S. Drifts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011k.html#41 Rafael Team with Raytheon to Offer