Lord spare us from MBAs.
CC

Amen, Chris!

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Craddock <crashlu...@gmail.com>
To: IBM-MAIN <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Sun, Feb 12, 2012 2:43 pm
Subject: Re: IBM Doing Some Restructuring?

On Feb 12, 2012, at 1:22 AM, Edward Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com> wrote:
> On 2/11/2012 8:31 AM, Dave Day wrote:
> The idea of hiring temporary workers, the 'liquid' people referred to in the
rticle, seems to me to be at odds with long term,  successful growth.

 It's hard for me to understand how any serious development projects can be
one by temps. Software development is not a math problem. You can't just throw
bodies" at it to get things done more quickly. You need a smallish group of
ighly skilled people--the kind that usually have permanent "gigs"--and time for
hem to learn the infrastructure and architecture before they can be truly
seful. Also, as with any complex subject, the learning curves can be fairly
teep.

 OTOH, perhaps the "projects" they're envisioning don't involve actual
evelopment. Maybe they involve customization of OTS packages.

o Ed, customization of OTS packages (generally a bad idea btw) has exactly the
ame talent requirements you're referring to; a smallish group of highly skilled
eople. The specific skills may be slightly different, but I know you would not
ave any trouble relating to them. The (evidently popular) idea that you can
ick a random group of (cheap) gunslingers and solve big system or application
evelopment problems is as bankrupt today as it ever was. It only ever works on
 spreadsheet.
Lord spare us from MBAs.
CC
Sent from my iPad
or IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
end email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN