arthur.gutow...@compuware.com (Art Gutowski) writes:
> Patterned after centuries (millenia?) of cultural character - raze the
> conquered and build your empire on the remains.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#74 IBM Doing Some Restructuring?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#76 IBM Doing Some Restructuring?

I had sponsored Boyd's briefings at IBM in the 80s ... and he had a very
interesting scenario for this. some Boyd URLs from around the web as
well as past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subboyd.html

Part of his briefings was that at the entry to WW2, the Army had to
deploy a huge forces with little or no experience. To leverage the small
amount of skilled/experienced resources they created a rigid, top-down
command and control structure. He would then observe that this was then
starting to have a significant downside on US corporate culture ...  as
former young WW2 officers, skilled in rigid, top-down command&control
structures were started to climb corporate ladders. They were beginning
to implement similar infrastructures that assumed only the very few at
the very top knew what they were doing and required rigid controls for
large hordes that didn't know what they were doing.

Something similar was touched on in "Tandem Memos" (even before I met
Boyd) ... from IBM Jargon

Tandem Memos - n. Something constructive but hard to control; a fresh
of breath air (sic). That's another Tandem Memos. A phrase to worry
middle management. It refers to the computer-based conference (widely
distributed in 1981) in which many technical personnel expressed
dissatisfaction with the tools available to them at that time, and
also constructively criticised the way products were are
developed. The memos are required reading for anyone with a serious
interest in quality products. If you have not seen the memos, try
reading the November 1981 Datamation summary.

... snip ...

I had been blamed for online computer conferencing on the internal
network in the late 70s & early 80s (part of which was "Tandem Memos")
... misc. past posts mentioning the internal network
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

part of the folklore was that when the executive committee was informed
of online computer conferencing (and the internal network), 5of6 wanted
to fire me.

Boyd's explanation has been used more recently to explain a report that
the ratio of executive compensation to employee compensation had
exploded to 400:1 ("Age of Greed", mentioned in earlier post, claims it
spiked over 500:1), after having been 20:1 for a long time and 10:1 for
most of the rest of the world.

The other downside is that people at the bottom that may appear to know what
they are doing, can be viewed as a threat.

other recent posts mentioning "Age of Greed":
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#12 Sun Tzu, Boyd, strategy and
extensions of same
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#19 "Buffett Tax" and truth in numbers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#29 The speeds of thought, complexities