For now it is likely that some of the non-mainframe
configuration-management schemes are more flexible, because less
bureaucracy-encrusted than the schemes we are accustomed to using.

The Anglican Communion's Book of Common Prayer has this to say about
problems of this sort, which are ineluctable:

There was never any thing by the wit of man so well devised, or so
sure established, which in continuance of time hath not been
corrupted.

New initiatives need to be criticized in their own terms, and they
often need it badly; but reflexive defense of and retreat into the
familiar is rarely helpful.

--
John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA