Dave Day's comment

<begin snippet>
The idea of hiring temporary workers, the 'liquid' people referred to
in the article, seems to me to be at odds with long term,  successful
growth.  IBM is adopting Walmart's business model on this one.
</end snippet>

is, as the MBAs would surely say, 'insightful'.  Moreover, it suggests
to me that successful growth can be defined in many different ways.

I suspect that IBM is in fact adopting Apple's business model: Design
it using a small number of highly talented people in one place; then
implement/manufacture it quickly using 'liquid'  because currently
unemployed people elsewhere, in China or, shortly, a successor
low-cost location that does not yet have a safety net for the poor in
place.

--
John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA