>>We are a CICS shop with IMS DB (DBCTL), but I've been curious for a while
>>about the differences between how CICS works >>and how IMS TM works.  I
>>couldn't find anything on the web.  Anyone have a link to a good reference?

Try Google for "IMS DC".  The IMS Transaction Manager used to be called IMS/DC
(for Data Communication).

It has been a long time since I touched it, but my recollection is that it was
a cleaner implementation within the Operating System.  It used CALL level API's
(no EXEC IMS precompiler) and exploited all the OS capabilities for
multitasking and multiprocessing.  CICS on the other hand tried to isolate apps
from the OS, becoming its own mini-OS within a single OS address space.  This
was an advantage for CICS back in the 70's.  But I suspect the table has turned
under z/OS.