Going back into the dark days of history, CICS has often done things which the
OS can also do. One thing I remember was it implemented its own version of
program fetch. It would read the directory entry for a program, allocate the
correct amount of storage in the CICS managed DSA (Dynamic Storage Area), then
do BSAM READs to bring in the program as well as perform address relocation.
Why? Because using a OS/360 LOAD macro would cause the entire region to "wait"
while the program was loaded. By doing the function itself, it could do
asynchronous reads and dispatch other transactions while the waiting for the
READ to complete. Remember, this was in the days of very slow SLEDs such as
3330 disk drives and slow machines.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV