We use a Dallas RDP system, and IBM installed IBM Ported Tools OpenSSH for
us.    I think that all I had to do was to customize the SSHD started task
a bit.

There isn't much payback for using ssh over tty telnet, until your password
is snatched from an unencrypted telnet session :-)   But if you are using
unencrypted TN3270, its the same issue.