My client has been using telnet long before openssh was available... and still
does.

The port is in /etc/services.  My inetd.conf looks like this:

#======================================================================
# service | socket | protocol | wait/ | user | server  | server program
# name    | type   |          | nowait|      | program |   arguments
#======================================================================
#
otelnet   stream tcp nowait OMVSKERN /usr/sbin/otelnetd otelnetd -l
shell     stream tcp nowait OMVSKERN /usr/sbin/orshd orshd -LV
login     stream tcp nowait OMVSKERN /usr/sbin/rlogind rlogind -m
oexec     stream tcp nowait OMVSKERN /usr/sbin/orexecd orexecd -LV
ssh       stream tcp nowait OMVSKERN /usr/sbin/sshd sshd -i

/etc/services has a line like this added:

otelnet         nnn/tcp         OMVS            (nnn is the port - usually n23
or nn23)

The PORT statement in TCPIP profile has it reserved as well:

nnn TCP OMVS                ; OE TELNET SERVER

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com