On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:00:00 GMT, Ted MacNEIL
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>One weekend, two of them took the original RFC (?term), and re-wrote it
from scratch.
>The specs included UNIX functions and services to do things, so they used
USS to do everything they could, so they didn't have re-invent the wheel.
>The only thing they didn't do was the stack, since VTAM already had one,
and it was pretty good.

>This made it to OS/390 V2.5, I believe.
>And, they dropped to two support people.
>They also made improvements in. 2.7, IIRC.
>And, the performance improved drastically.

I suspect the rewrite story is apocryphal.  And while TCP/IP perfomance
was greatly improved, the the 2.5 code was very buggy.

I know the support story is wrong.  TCP/IP Support was terrible back in
2.5 - as bad or worse than with the previous release of TCP/IP.  In fact,
IBM took some of the VTAM support people to help with TCP/IP support.  It
took several years, but TCP/IP support eventually became very good - one
of the real turn-around stories at IBM.  A lot of credit goes to the
Service manager (whose name I'm blanking on.  Vernon sometyhing.)
Obviously, a lot of credit also goes to the level 2 people that had to
put up with irate customers like me.

A lot of improvements have gone into just about every release of TCP/IP
(except while they were putting in IPv6 support).

Pat O'Keefe