Off list reply. Maybe this answers your question.

From Principles of Operation, Appendix A, examples using CS, CDS. An "Add to Free List" routine is given. Code is as follows:

ADDQ     LM    0,1,0(4)
TRYAGN   ST    0,0(2)
         LR    3,1
         BCTR  3,0
         CDS   0,2,0(4)
         BC    7,TRYAGN

Paragraph following code sample states

"Note that the LM at location ADDQ would have to be CDS if it were not for the rule concerning storage-operand consistency. This rule requires the LM to fetch an eight-byte operand aligned on a doubleword boundary such that, if another CPU changes the doubleword being fetched by an operation which is also at least doubleword-consistent, either the entire new or the entire old value of the doubleword is obtained, and not a combination of the two."

Regards,

John Ganci

Binyamin Dissen wrote:
I would like to guarantee a concurrent load of two words on a double word
boundary.

Will LM serialize the doubleword?

Or must I something hokey like a CDS which appears to do a concurrent load if
the result is not equal.

Doing a L followed a PLO/CompareLoad seems the absolute worst choice.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com