Also, Be wary of the lock token used with PLO.  All players must use
the same token to get the desired serialization.  (I usually use the
address of the queue anchors.)  Moreover, PLO doesn't play in the same
ballpark as CS/CDS. (They don't work together.)

At 12:26 PM 7/27/2006, Edward Jaffe wrote:

>Binyamin Dissen wrote:
>>I was going to use PLO to do a compare/swap/store, with the compare/swap on
>>the count and a store into the chain (possibly into the head pointer - thus
>>both words in the doubleword would be accessed as single words). Obviously I
>>would get bad results if the load of the chain header/count did not get a
>>consistent result.
>>

>Block concurrency rules state that LM and STM against a doubleword will always
>see an all-or-nothing result. But, this doesn't obviate the need for PLO in
>the circumstances in which it's needed -- e.g., to traverse or update a
>linked-list.
>
>--

Art Celestini       Celestini Development Services
Phone: 201-670-1674                    Wyckoff, NJ
Mail sent to the "From" address  used in this post
will be rejected by our server.   Please send off-
list email to:  ibmmain<at-sign>celestini<dot>com.