>I must be doing something wrong then since we have seen several problems in
>the past couple of years (certainly less than 20 years) with using FORCE.

We are using it at least twice a month, unfortunately.
One business-critical task is taking a S0C4 occasionally, and won't cancel
since it's swapped out.

So, it's:
CANCEL <task>
FORCE <task>
FORCE <task>,ARM
<wait>
START <task>

We have been waiting on the vendor for a fix since November.
We have received a few broken fixes, but we are still waiting.
It's a niche product, so we don't have much choice.

BTW, we haven't had a problem with FORCE, yet.

But, the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

When in doubt.
PANIC!!