On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:11:06 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I would agree with the originator of this question that any required use
of FORCE is a bug.

>I disagree. Sometimes you have to FORCE. For example, you have an address
>space swapped out.

Are you sure about that?  I've never had a problem with CANCEL because of
an address space being swapped.  In particular, C U= works even though the
TSO session has been idle long enough that it should have been swapped out.

>CANCEL won't take effect until it swaps back in.
>So, you cannot restart it until it's gone.
>
>> The possible consequences of FOCREing an address
>> space are severe
>
>Not since MVS/XA came out. A lot of problems were solved then.

The second statement may be true.  The first is not.  FORCE *can* require
an IPL.  I've seen it recently.  It is clearly documented, and it is
correct.  Yes, I know, people do it all the time and *usually* get away
with it, but the risk is still there.

>>and are not within the scope of 'normal' operation.
>
>Again, I disagree.

So you consider an unscheduled IPL to be part of "normal operation?"

Tom Marchant