On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 10:30:28 -0000, Phil Payne
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>SABENA?
>
>There were many "interpretations" of airline names.
>
>As always on the Internet, someone has a better collection than me.
>
>http://www.travel-images.com/airline-acronyms.html
>
>It misses "Back Every Afternoon" for BEA - one I always found apposite.

It also misses one of my favourites. The rules that allow airlines to fly
long distances over oceans using planes with only two engines are called
ETOPS - 'Extended-range Twin-engine Operation Performance Standards'. Some
wag suggested it really stood for 'Engines Turning Or Passengers
Swimming'... equally apposite.

Mike
http://www.corestore.org