On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 12:00 -0500, Thompson, Steve (SCI TW) wrote:
> Suppose that for every time one needs to open an ETR, and IBMLINK is
> down, that you were to call the 800 number and make your problem a SEV1.
> Now further suppose that all IBM customers were to do this.

I purely hate having to lie about problem severity in order to get
attention.  I had an issue at Sun/STK just last week, and contacted what
IBM might have called the "duty manager" with a complaint.  She offered
to mark my problem as a sev-1.  I refused, saying that sev-1 meant
"down", and that I didn't care to pervert the system.

Guess that either makes me a nice guy or a chump; I'm not sure which.

I will admit to having played the game a few years ago, when I was
forced to artificially escalate a sev-3 to sev-2.  At the time TCPIP
sev-3s might just as well have been dropped into a black hole.  You try
to set severity levels responsibly, and triage yourself into the support
queue in a socially conscious way.  Then you question the wisdom of same
when a support mechanism ravaged by budget cuts ignores you.

Anybody else remember when level-1 used to transfer you directly to
level-2?  Been a long time since THAT happened to me.

(Thank you for calling Davesoft... all Daves are busy at the moment, but
your call is very important to us... though perhaps not enough to
adequately staff our call center... please hold on the line, and the
first available Dave will take your call in the order in which it was
received...)

Excuse my rant, and the thread hijack.  I feel better now, thanks.

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.