On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 04:41:59 +0800, Ron Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Mark,
>
>Maybe it's a case of differing experience. The first time I came across
>DEFRAG being used it was all about reducing seek on 3380, and I was
>questioning the benefit of this on 3880-23 controllers.

I guess I should have qualified my response about not defragging for
performance with disk arrays, but that was the part of your response
that I quoted and was referring to.  Back in the days of 3380 sled
I remember using FASTDASD (CA) to create  COMPAKTOR control
cards to place data sets in specific order to reduce seek times.

>The benefit of reducing seek with DEFRAG still crops up, even on this list.
>I would bet that it is the performance improvement alluded to in some of the

Yepper.

Cheers,

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group:  G-ITO