Bruno Sugliani wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:22:14 +0200, R.S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
But the only honest answer to the question is "NO, unfortunately we are
not able to synchronize with atomic clock, like other devices in our
server room. Mainframe *can't do it*. We can only use wrist watch as a
time source and then rely on mainframe internal clock."
Of course, after the confession we can go back to our Principles, talk
about our availability, hint that the rest of the world should
synchronize with our CPC...

What do you mean ? Why don't you synchronise the syslex timer with atomic clock or ( easier and cheaper,) radio longwave transmission clock ? ( this one does not even require an external antenna because it crosses the
walls of you computer room and is used for railways , tunels etc ...  )
Or did i misunderstood your comments ?

1. I wrote 'atomic clock', but I meant any 'external time reference' including atomic clock, and longwave transmission. In fact I even don't know what's available in our part of Europe. For sure, there is something, because we have devices, 'time receivers'. However it has little to do with mainframe, since it cannot use any of the time sources.

2. AFAIK such synchronization requires some special setup, sysplex timer will not start using it itself. How can I connect sysplex timer to my ntp server over regular IP/ethernet connection ?

3. Last, but definitely not least: I DON'T HAVE sysplex timer. Sysplex timer (I wrote about it in post scriptum), are no longer available from IBM, so there is no supported way to connect to time reference. Also the price is killing factor: two (**) sysplex timers costed approx. 100k$ !!! It is too much if you simply want synchronize your machine with other machines, isn't it ?

1. I don't know whether STP solution can use 'atomic clock' as a time reference. AFAIK, it was asked on the list, but noone answered. 2. (**) Two sysplex timers are required, because of redundancy. AFAIK if you loose ETR (sysplex timer or timer connection), then all your systems will end with wait state.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2007 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
opacony) wynosi 118.064.140 z. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchwa XVI WZ z dnia 21.05.2003
r., kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA moe ulec podwyszeniu do kwoty 118.760.528
z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym bd w caoci opacone.