At 21:48 -0500 on 05/22/2007, Scott Fagen wrote about Re: Why is there JOB scope for DSN ENQ's anyway?:

Why doesn't initiator/terminator downgrade the ENQ from EXC to SHR when the
job has only DISP=SHR interest in the dataset for any of the remaining job
steps.  The answer clearly distinguishes where the deficiency lies in the
system (GRS, not Allocation).

If the question is "why isn't there a RET=CHANGE variant for altering EXC to
SHR ownership in ENQ (and/or ISGENQ)?" the answer is, most surely, "because
IBM has never seen sufficient business justification to implement the function."

Since as I noted, the Support is easy to add (as I documented) and there is no downlevel exposure if it is initially restricted to use by the Initiator (just update the Initiator Code to do the EXC->SHR downlevel ENQ at the point where all subsequent steps are DISP=SHR). Both the Initiator and ENQ support will be at the same level so you do not run into the attempt to run the new code against an old ENQ or the macro parm support that would occur if it were a USER-CODE supported feature. That Initiator update might actually take a few man-days (in addition to the man-hour or so to the ENQ code). You can postpone the availability to USER-CODE via new ENQ/ISGENQ macros until the problem of handling the accidental attempt to issue the request on a downlevel system is addressed. I think that a automatic business case can be made just based on the improved efficiency of the Initiator.

See Robert Rosenberg's recent well-reasoned contribution on this
topic:

   Linkname: Re: Why is there JOB scope for DSN ENQ's anyway?

So, I'd have to guess, based on the insulting tones, that you and Mr.
Rosenberg have some resentment about this function not being implemented.

I do not regard my query about why this glaring design flaw in ENQ is not being addressed (even if the usage of the enhanced support is restricted to the Initiator initially) as insulting (or do you regard my characterization of the original/current design of ENQ lacking a EXC->SHR Downgrade capability as "poor"/"flawed" as insulting?).

I am doing exactly what a SHARE Requirement is supposed to do - Point out a lack of functionality and provide an suggestion as to one way to rectify the lack. I do not have access to the SHARE Request List but I'd be surprised if there has not been one already submitted (or at least proposed) about this exact issue (the lack of a EXC->SHR downgrade at the job step boundary between DISP=OLD and DISP=SHR steps).

IMO, the lack of a fix in progress amounts to a deliberate crippling of the Initiator since the fix is so easy to make (so long as you make ENQ part initially an Authorized User facility and restrict its user-base to the Initiator). If you feel that my estimates of the ease of writing the needed code understates the effort needed, I welcome your estimate of the effort and/or pointing out where I am mistaken about what needs to be done.