On Wed, 23 May 2007 11:13:46 -0500, Scott Fagen wrote:

>On Wed, 23 May 2007 00:00:52 -0400, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
>
>>Since as I noted, the Support is easy to add (as I documented)

... but I'd say, certainly more than one man-day.  The mere administrative
burden for any change exceeds that.

>Unfortunately, "because it's easy" is not considered a compelling business
>case at IBM.

Would repairing a defect be considered (part of) a business case?

I was sensitized to this matter many years ago when I learned that
under certain conditions of contention attempting to DYNALLOC a data
set with options NEW and CATALOG can fail and leave the data set on
a volume not catalogued and not deleted.  I discovered this with
considerable discomfort only when I had run the job enough times
and it had failed enough times (usually it succeeded) that I had
a copy of the problem data set on every storage volume on the floor.

A dedicated IBM developer researched the problem and sought a solution.
Finally, he reported to me that under the design requirements of
DYNALLOC, and lacking the facility to downgrade an ENQ, no solution
was possible.  (I would have changed the specifications of DYNALLOC,
since the problem I reported demonstrated in itself that the specification
was not being met.)  With an ENQ downgrade facility, the problem
could easily have been solved within the constraints of the DYNALLOC
specification.

And, finally, to throw an additional wrinkle Robert's way, suppose:

    ALLOCATE DD(E) DSN(FOO.BAR) OLD
    ALLOCATE DD(S) DSN(FOO.BAR) SHR
    FREE     DD(E)

A programmer might reasonably expect this would leave a SHR ENQ
on SYSDSN FOO.BAR.  What component should do the accounting, and
what's the algorithm?  But perhaps this hardly more complex than
what is done nowadays when a data set name is statically allocated
in JCL, then multiply allocated to different DDNAMEs and FREEd
dynamically within the job step.

-- gil