I have some code we wrote long ago that is an external writer type interface.
It reads sysout from JES2 spool, and writes it to a dataset (the particulars
don't really matter for my question).

We're now being asked to write something which can do RECEIVE of e-mail sent in
through SMTP for a particular "user" (we've mostly been ignoring any mail sent
in that way, primarily using SMTP for outbound traffic). Since we don't want to
schedule a RECEIVE command every 'n' minutes, to have some large portion of
them be non-productive, my thought was to use a version of this external writer
code - to "merely" wait on the ECB for when SYSOUT is available for this
particular class of output (and for the user ID, if I can),  then (in one way
or another) invoke something to do the RECEIVE. I can't remember, however, if
the IEFSSREQ macro enqueues the SYSOUT dataset, or if that happens when you
dynamically allocate it (which wouldn't be done by this task in this case, but
by the invoked RECEIVE command). So, I'm looking for the collective wisdom of
the group: will I shoot myself in the foot, if I do the following sequence:

1. Issue IEFSSREQ
2. Wait on ECB to indicate SYSOUT is available 3. Issue START command for an
STC to do the RECEIVE 4. Loop to 2 until a STOP or CANCEL is issued.

Step 3 is the part I think will have problems.

I'd ask for opinions - but I know I'm going to get them anyway.

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation
Tel: +1 (850) 414-4209