>Has anyone else experienced this with Direct-Connect or any other
>application?

NDM is a cpu hog if you let it. We run it in discretionary, but then we do have
a lot classified to discretionary service classes (it's the default for all
STCs and all batch). I believe that most of NDMs cpu is consumed for encryption
(if that is not done on the speciality processors).

>A PI of 1 means that the work is performing as specified in the service
>class. Less than 1 means that it is exceeding its performance
>specification. The larger the PI, the "worse" the service class is doing.

<rant on>
Not according to the WLM developers, no.
We run one of those newfangled things called WBIFN (MQS-Merva-Bridge to
swiftnet). That productive service class runs IMP1 exvel 40% (I believe, not
that that makes much difference) on a 2 processor lpar dedicated to that
workload and has about 65 address spaces.
I cannot remember ever having seen a PI of less than 4, not even when MSUs were
really consumed. The worst PI for that SC was 235 (yes, two-three-five, I did
NOT forget a comma or anything).
WLM development has told us that that is normal and that we should not worry.
They used about 5000 words first to say that execution velocity goals are not
good, anyway, and we should use response time goals. (Of course they will deny
they said that, that's what the 5000 words were for.)
When I asked how we should classify that response time goal when WBIFN doesnt't
call any of the WLM interfaces, we got the expected 'we cannot tell you how to
do that'.
We were also told that we had grossly overspecified the exvel goal, but were
not given any recommendation to which value to set it (with a PI habitually in
the upper double digits, lowering the exvel to 1% doesn't really change the
fact that the PI is bad.)

In essence we were told: if you're worried about a workload not finishing as
expected, make sure you have enough white space.
</rant off>

>Short answer, fix the goal(s) - and ensure enough resource is available
>to meet them.
Shane, how did you know?

Regards, Barbara