that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lindy Mayfield) writes:
> I was thinking (dreaming) today about what if when I giving training for
> MVS stuff and each student had their own mainframe instead of connecting
> to a central one.  We could do so much more.

This was somewhat the original idea behind HONE (hands-on network
environment)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

after the 23jun69 unbundling announcement
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#unbundle

Prior to unbundling, new/young system engineers acquired quite a bit of
their knowledge, working as part of team at customer installations.  the
unbundling announcement pretty much put an end to this apprentice-like
activity. In the 60s, while an undergraduate at the univ, i was doing a
large number of os/360 enhancements ... and prior to unbundling, they
would cycle new SEs thru the univ. every six months (that I would get to
train).

HONE started out creating a number of cp67 virtual machine datacenters
that would support branch office system engineers running (guest)
operating systems. The cp67 virtual machine systems (running on real
360/67s) included enhancements supporting simulation of the newly
announced (pre-virtual memory) 370 instructions (allowing newer guest
operating system versions to be run).

The science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

had also ported apl\360 to cms\apl and reworked it for operation in a
virtual memory environment (including arbitrarily large workspaces, up
to 16mbytes, rather than the somewhat "toy" apl\360 workspaces that were
typically 16kbytes to 32kbytes).

CMS\APL on HONE was leveraged to also deploy a large number of sales and
marketing support applications. These applications soon dominated HONE
utilization and the original HONE purpose somewhat withered away. For
example, by the mid-70s, it was no longer possible to submit a customer
order that hadn't first been processed by HONE "configurators" and/or
other applications (although by this time, HONE had migrated to VM370
and APL\CMS).