In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 12/04/2007
   at 06:15 PM, "Van Dalsen, Herbie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Surely the copy of windows that you are running is fully licensed?

If it exists.

>Why expect IBM to give it away for free.

Have you stopped beating your wife? Why should he defend a claim that he
never made? He quoted a suggestion of "$100 a pop"; perhaps that's not the
price you want, but it's certainly not free.

>In my Opinion, if you look at the true meaning of copyright - it
>means that like reading a book, it cannot be done by more than one
>person at any given time without buying a second copy

That interpretation would startle the founding fathers. Copyright means
exactly what the name suggests.

>Yet, does Microsoft allow this

What m$ allows has nothing to do with what copyright law allows.

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 12/05/2007
   at 12:16 PM, "Van Dalsen, Herbie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>In my opinion, what makes IBM code safe in terms Auditing risk, is the
>fact that only IBM labs work on it. You need a really P'd-off IBMer to
>plant a Trojan in the code, and a few P'd-off testers to miss it during
>testing. So I would not be in favor of open source for the mainframe.

Nobody will be running production on a reference implementation. Further,
making the source available does not require accepting source changes from
the general public. A fork of the reference implementation would not be
the reference implementation.

>What I would be in favor of is a platform where developers
>outside of IBM can present new software designs/ideas to be included
>after proper securitization.

It would need to pass a legal screening and I'm not sure what that would
cost.