In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on
12/04/2007
   at 12:27 PM, "McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Actually, installing software on a computer is copying. Rarely is
>software run from the installation medium. And, there is a verbatim copy
>of the software, at least temporarily, in the RAM even in that case. I
>don't know of any current machine which can actually run a program from a
>storage media (sic)

What do you mean by "a storage media"? Form where I sit CD's, DVD's, disk
packs and tapes are all storage media from which people have loaded
programs. I can agree only with the second half of your comment.

>(the IBM 650 did as "main memory" was really a drum, not core).

We normally cleared the drum before loading a new program; not something
that we would do if using it as a storage medium[1]. Further, when someone
shipped us a new version of a program they didn't ship us a drum, just
cards or tape.

[1] Besides, it was only big enough to hold the data from 250
     cards.