I don't see any issue with IBM having produced an internal version of the POP.
In fact, it has been common knowledge that there was an internal version of the
POP since the first days of the S/360 processor line.  This version
incorporated (not in order of introduction) the MVS Extended Facility
instructions (before they became public in a later POP), the Coupling Facility
instructions, the Expanded Storage instruction (Move Page (MVPG), before it
became public in a later POP), ECPS:MVS, ECPS:VM, and ECPS:VSE, as well as
details on emulation features, the APL microcode assist instruction (X'A0'),
and the DIAGnose instruction.

Big deal!

The lack of availability of documentation on these instructions did not prevent
people from running IBM operating systems, they just would not run as fast.
VM/370 + ECPS:VM was much faster than VM/370.

I would be thrilled to have documentation on the entire instruction set
implemented on IBM S/360 and its successors.

However, I don't believe that IBM should be compelled to produce it.

INTEL processors are known to have undocumented instructions.

I expect that AMD processors probably have undocumented instructions.

IBM's research and development have been second to none.

Have IBM's competitors put monies into R&D to the same degree as IBM?  I think
not.  Are IBM's competitors prepared to reimburse IBM for the billions of
dollars IBM has invested over decades in R&D?  Not very likely.  Add to that
that I would expect such renumeration to be adjusted for inflation and for a
reasonable profit.

In today's competitive market I believe that IBM is fully justified in keeping
its trade secrets secret.

John P Baker