In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 12/28/2007
   at 10:10 AM, Rick Fochtman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>The most basic description was present, but all it really said was
>"machine dependant".

That's really all that they could say, except for the caveats.

>I, for one, would like to see more detail,

Be careful what you wish for; you might get it. I would much rather have
model-dependent data in manuals specific to the relevant models.

>at least about functions that don't give away architectural details.

Then you would have had to buy a new copy of PoOps every time a new model
or EC came out.

>Let me do things like test for features, fetch the IODF ID, channel
>types, LPAR details, etc. Make those (relatively) harmless functions
>available, at least.

When the S/360 came out, that type of function was different on every
model and, as Gerhard noted, wasn't guarantied to be harmless. There are
some uses of Diagnose that are standardized now, but they weren't back
then.