On Dec 31, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Doug Fuerst wrote:

How do you figure that reverse engineering is an acceptable method of R&D or design? Reverse engineering is an easy way to replicate a design. Since the company creating the product, in this case IBM, spent millions developing the machine, they would be entitled to some exclusivity. How fair is it for every competitor to reverse engineer their machines to mimic the IBM box, and not compensate IBM for that? At least MOBO manufacturers use different chipsets and moderately different designs. I don't believe they are reverse engineering Intel boards, nor is AMD reverse engineering Core Duo's.

Doug

Doug,

An interesting issue and I am sure there is no straightforward answer. Take for instance Blueberry muffins according to your theory only one person is allowed to produce them, yet MANY stores through out the US (and maybe Canada) sell them every day. Do they all have the same ingredients, no but they are probably close. I know you say that the person inventing them isn't getting paid his/her fair share. But hey they do taste good:)

Ed