On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:44:26 -0500, John P. Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>You seem to suggest that if an invention is of great benefit to society the
>rights of the patent holder should be held null and void.
>
>The founding fathers felt differently, and more than 200 years of
>jurisprudence have upheld that difference of opinion.
>
>Inventors are granted a "limited" time during which they retain exclusive
>rights to their invention, regardless of what society may think about it.
>Otherwise, what would be the purpose?
>
>Under your scenario, if I come up with a new invention which is of great
>benefit to society, then society should have the right to take it, give it
>to other (cheaper) manufacturers, and leave me out in the cold.

Um, well... Sections 181-188 of the US patent act provide for just about
what you say can't happen. The US government can not only take your
invention, but can suppress its publication, and fine you $10,000 and/or put
you in jail for two years if you talk about it, first amendment be dammed.

Tony H.