On Dec 31, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Tom Marchant wrote:
------------------SNIP---------

When processors srarted to include High-Speed Buffers, now commonly called
cache, any published timings became very difficult to determine.  When
memory references were simple real memory references, the time required for each was easily determined. With the HSB, a memory reference took some number of clock cycles it the data were in the HSB and longer id they had to be fetched from main store. Sometimes still longer if a line in the buffer had to
be written back to main store first.

Of course, virtual address translation addes yet another layer of complexity to the time required to access storage. Worst case is a memory reference to get the segment table entry, another to get the page table entry and a third to access the storage required. Then if the data referenced crosses a segment boundary, another memory reference to get the next segment table entry and the page table entry. Translation Lookaside Buffers are used to keep these
references to a minimum.

These effects are one of the biggest reasons why instruction timings tend to
vary.

--
Tom Marchant

Tom,

Of course you are correct and that is (probably) why the 1419 ended up in the DC graveyard. Thanks for reminding us of the history. I had just remembered working on timing of a specific machine.

To refresh my memory was the 370 the first public machine that used the HSB? My memory says yes but as we have seen the POPS and FUNC manual are indeed different. There were quite a few machines I had no exposure to like the 44 and the 67 and the (1)95 among others

Ed