On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:05:40 -0600, McKown, John wrote:

>Yes, I just didn't really see how EQUALS applies to a MERGE. Possibly
>just lact of understanding on my part. I do understand how EQUALS
>applies to SORT since SORT is only reading one input file, so which is
>"first" makes sense to me. But MERGE is reading records from multiple
>input files, so which is "first"? The first one actually read? (that
>would be random, depending on the data in the various input files) Or
>the one which is read from the lowest numbered SORTINnn? In the words of
>Vinnie Barbarino "I'm so confused!"

SORT can also process a concatenation, so it can be more than one input file.
It might even be able to access multiple DD's, but I didn't crack the manuals
to look this one up. I always thought EQUALS was still valid on a MERGE, so I
pulled the manual...

"When specified for a MERGE application, EQUALS guarantees that whenever
equal-keyed records appear in different SORTIN data sets, the record from the
lowest numbered SORTINnn will be written first to the output file."