Paul Gilmartin wrote on 01/15/2008 09:20:25 AM:
> Related question:
>
> Does either product support sorting on N keys and eliminating all but
> the first record with the first M (<N) values identical?  E.g. for all
> records with identical Names, keep only the one with the most recent
> Date.
>
> I've faced this problem with Unix sort(1).  It doesn't specify which
> record will be retained, so I must pipe into an awk(1) script to do
> the final selection.

Yes, you can do that kind of thing with the SELECT operator of DFSORT's
ICETOOL.  You can use FIRST, LAST, FIRSTDUP and LASTDUP operands to
select which record you want.  You can also sort on various keys and
select on one of them, e.g. sort on a name ascending and a date
descending, and SELECT on the name ascending.  See the following for
more information on the SELECT operator of DFSORT's ICETOOL:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ICE1CA20/6.11?DT=20060615185603

>Will DFSORT operate on Unix files?

I don't know much about Unix files.  DFSORT can use HFS files for
input and output - does that help?

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Specialties: PARSE, JFY, SQZ, ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/