-------------------<snip>---------------
I have not done a merge in *YEARS*, having said that I believe (even if you concatenate) each concatenation has to be in a "higher" sequence than the file ahead of the concatenation (all records still must be in the right sequence) so (if) you can concatenate the records must be in sequence. I hope I said that right and Walt can correct if I am wrong.

 ie sortin01 dd (seq01-09) example for illustrative purposes only
                 dd (seq10-15)  "  "
                 dd (seq16-??)  "  "
Not true, Ed. a MERGE will merge, and interleave where necessary, based on the parameters provided in the control statements. I believe that the only requirements are that the various input files be in sequence by the same keys before starting, and that the input files be of the same format vis-a-vis LRECL and RECFM.