(Sorry if this appears twice - the first post seems to be taking forever to
get to the list, so I thought I'd try again.)

John McKown wrote on 01/15/2008 08:25:23 AM:

> The manual is unclear on this. First question: Is this supported? I.e.

Yes, SUM FIELDS=NONE is supported for MERGE.

> will SORTOUT contain only one of the records with the duplicate key?

Yes.

> Second question: Which record will be kept? Random, the one read from
> the lowest SORTINnn or the one read from the highest SORTINnn DD
> statement?

If EQUALS is in effect, it will be the one from the lowest SORTINnn.  So
if you have:

//SORTIN01 DD ...
//SORTIN02 DD ...
//SYSIN DD *
  OPTION EQUALS
  MERGE FIELDS=(...)
  SUM FIELDS=NONE

or

//SORTIN02 DD ...
//SORTIN01 DD ...
//SYSIN DD *
  OPTION EQUALS
  MERGE FIELDS=(...)
  SUM FIELDS=NONE

the SORTIN01 record will be kept for duplicates.

If NOEQUALS is in effect, it's random.

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Specialties: PARSE, JFY, SQZ, ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/