On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:16:53 -0600, Mark Zelden wrote:

>>  Will DFSORT operate on Unix files?
>>
>>Never tried it.  I think it would if you got the JCL and sort statements
>>correct.
>
>This worked (SYNCSORT).  But I did have to specify LRECL, BLKSIZE,
>and RECFM on the DDs or I got RC16:

Thanks for the experiment.  We fence-straddlers are well accustomed
to the attributes requirement, as well as to being distrusted by
IBM development groups.  Several years ago, I had some contention
with an IBM product which refused to support Unix files for input
because, they said, they feared the programmer might code unacceptable
attributes.  So what else is new?  To IBM's credit, they had about
an hour's conference call with me in which we discussed our various
concerns.  The restriction was dropped and the product now supports
Unix files well.  Thanks, Kurt!

-- gil