On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:20:25 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Does either product support sorting on N keys and eliminating all but
>the first record with the first M (<N) values identical?  E.g. for all
>records with identical Names, keep only the one with the most recent
>Date.

Yes.   With ICETOOL/SYNCTOOL.  Example:

    SELECT FROM(INPUT) TO(OUTPUT) ON(26,6,CH) FIRST

There are more options besides "FIRST".  Consult the fine manual.

>I've faced this problem with Unix sort(1).  It doesn't specify which
>record will be retained, so I must pipe into an awk(1) script to do
>the final selection.  Will DFSORT operate on Unix files?

Never tried it.  I think it would if you got the JCL and sort statements
correct.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden