On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:40:44 -0600, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:27:45 -0600, Dave Kopischke wrote:
>>
>>An awkward solution would be to sort it in date sequence first, then SORT
>>dedupe. Multiple passes and not very elegant. But for a small file, who
cares ??

>If the file is small enough, I do it with an editor.
>
>Would it be better on the first pass do sort on name ascending major; date
>descending minor?  Then the DEDUPE second pass would be almost trivial.
>
>Could MERGE EQUALS be used for the second pass?

Possibly. As long as your first pass sort puts the file in the desired sequence.

>Will MERGE operate on a single input file, or would it require
>SORTIN02 DD DUMMY?

My manual doesn't state a minimum. It just says the maximum is 32 DD's
following the naming pattern SORTINnn. You can skip sequence numbers too if
you want. My manual is pretty old, so the 32 DD constraint might have been
relieved at some point. Give it a try and see.