Greg Shirey wrote:
> Fellow listers,
>
> We have some batch jobs that run early in the morning, create a file,
> then FTP it to a server in our network.  We had one of the jobs fail to
> FTP, getting the message:
> EZA2589E Connection to server interrupted or timed out. Initial
> connection
>
> At that time, when we tried to PING the server, it timed out.   Five
> minutes later, we got a response back from the server, so the job reran
> to success.
>
> This happened on and off all night, the server would be "PINGable" for a
> while, then not.
>
> I perceived this as a server or router error, but the network guys say
> no.  They are able, during these times when the mainframe cannot get a
> response to a PING, to successfully logon and FTP files to the server
> from their PCs.
>
> So, my question to this esteemed group is what is there in the mainframe
> IP environment could intermittently cause PING to fail?   (And only to a
> particular server - I set up a REXX to PING 5 servers, go to sleep for
> 30 seconds, and do it for about 30 minutes.  Only this server did not
> respond to the PING.)
>
> We are running z/OS 1.7 on a 2086 using the OSA card for connection to
> the network.
>
> Thanks for any feedback,
>
> Greg Shirey
> Ben E. Keith Company

When the PING from the mainframe times out can you run a TRACERTE from
that system to see if the problem is somewhere on the network?

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

Riley: Find the next number in the sequence: 313, 331, 367, ...? what?

The Doctor: 379. It's a sequence of happy primes, 379.

Martha: Happy what?

The Doctor: Just enter it!

Riley: Are you sure? We only get one chance.

The Doctor: Any number that reduces to one when you take the sum of
the square of its digits and continue iterating until it yields 1 is
a happy number, any number that doesn't, isn't. A happy prime is
both happy and prime.
----
Doctor Who episode "42"