The Rexx IRXIC (Trace and Execution control) allows one to enter some
commands like TS for trace start.

Would something like this work?  I initialize an environment with
IRXINIT, replace the Input/Output routine with my own , run IRXIC with
TS command to turn on tracing, then run an exec with IRXECEC.  Would I
then be able to capture the trace and control the running of the exec?

I've returned to my idea of whether a full screen Rexx debugger could be
built.

Thanks,
Lindy