Rob Wunderlich writes:
>Ideally, I would use Connect Unlimited. Problem for me is the price
>tag. It's only available as OTC, and a fairly hefty one at that. If
>it could be folded into the monthly cost of DB2 it would be a no
>brainer. That particular OTC happens to exceed a "magic number" for
>this organization that makes approval difficult (long story).

Ah yes, the bureaucratic expense number limit policy. Can't buy a building,
so the company pays more buying brick by brick. I think everyone working
for a business with at least a few employees runs into that problem.

I don't know your exact situation and wouldn't be the expert even if I did,
but if you don't yet have an Enterprise License Agreement that might be one
way to solve this particular problem. I wrote a layperson's explanation of
the ELA a few weeks ago that should be in the IBM-MAIN archives. You could
also just ask IBM straight up if they can price DB2 Connect Unlimited as
MLC, like MQ's Client Attach Feature. Or IBM can finance software purchases
to adjust the cash flows, but often that's not the issue when it comes to
the bureaucratic approvals.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]