Boy Dave, you are aggressive with your TSO goals.  Here we have them set
as follows.  I do like your third period though.  If they are doing
something in TSO that takes that much service than put them in never
never land.

Duration      Imp.    Description
800           2       80% complete within 00:00:00.500
              3       Vel=60

Of course we need to be sure that TSO doesn't hurt out bread and butter
CICS transactions which are set at 85% within 00:00:00.150 and
importance level of 1.

Tom Kelman
Commerce Bank of Kansas City
(816) 760-7632

> Posted by Dave Thorn
>
> It depends on your CPU speed and characteristics of TSO usage.  If
your
> users run lots of long transactions like searches, CLISTs, foreground
> things, they could suffer.  Most TSO activity (in my experience) is of
> the short variety, so as you see below I'm not shy about making 1st
> period imp=1, but for just 500 service units.  We also try to get some
> things through in period 2 with a pretty aggressive goal.  Works OK
> here, but probably not for everyone.
>
> You might ask your users what they're trying to do when they hang.
>
> Duration   Imp.  Description
>
> 500         1    95% complete within 00:00:01.000
> 50000       2    95% complete within 00:00:15.000
>             5    Execution velocity of 5
>
> Dave Thorn * Senior Technology Analyst * SunGard Computer Services *
600
> Laurel Oak Road, Voorhees, NJ, 08043
> Office 856 566-5412 * Mobile 609 781-0353 * Fax 856 566-3656
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
> confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized
> disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in
error,
> please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

> Posted by Aimee Houghton
>
> I am no performance expert and I am basically mostly using Cheryl
Watson
> quickstart (or whatever it is called). We are only using one service
> class
> for TSO users.  For the most part it works fine but during batch
window
> we
> have times when the operators let a bunch of stuff run in high
priority
> batch service class.  During those times, TSO users tend to sit and
> hang.
> Of course, the operators bump up their own priority so they don't have
> problem.  I am looking for suggestions as to how to setup the service
> class
> for TSO users to avoid having them hang during these situations.
>
> Here is my service class for TSO:
>
> Base goal:
> CPU Critical flag: NO
>
>   #  Duration   Imp  Goal description
>   -  ---------  -    ----------------------------------------
>   1  800        2    80% complete within 00:00:00.300
>   2             4    Execution velocity of 40
>

> Here is my service class for PRDBATHI (which I am assuming is causing
> the
> problem):
>
> Base goal:
> CPU Critical flag: NO
>
>   #  Duration   Imp  Goal description
>   -  ---------  -    ----------------------------------------
>   1             3    Execution velocity of 40

> Thanks,
> Aimee

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.