Another [small] mainframe has bitten the dust.

Our MP3000 had been running OS/390 2.10 for the last few years but today
has been shutdown for good with the applications moved off mostly onto
UNIX platforms. Back in 1999 when we were outsourced the mainframe was
"going within 2 years". Well, over 8 years later and after being
insourced again, it eventually happened.

Having worked on IBM mainframes since 1976, starting out as a trainee
sysprog on an 370/145 running OS/VS1 R5 (I think) and ending up on
OS/390 2.10 (we never did make it to z/OS), it's a sad day for me.
Fortunately, all here who worked on the mainframe are still employed (if
they wanted to be anyway), but I'll never be as comfortable with UNIX as
I have been with MVS in all its guises.

Having been a long time lurker and very occasional contributor here on
IBM-MAIN and on ASSEMBLER-LIST I haven't contributed much in recent
years due to running back level software. While I plan on delving into
IBM-MAIN when I get time, it won't be that often now. So I'd like to say
a heartfelt thanks to all those who knowledge, advice and experience has
helped me through the years of dealing with MVS in all its incarnations.
Running a single mainframe with little in the way of resilience, it's
been really helpful having the experiences of many other people to call
on when needed.

Now if there was a personal licence for a recent version of z/OS (or
even OS/390) I'd be able to keep my mainframe skills going, but with
only very old versions available under Hercules, I'd find it too
limiting. I'll just have to manage with Don Higgins excellent z390 to be
able to use IBM assembler when I get the chance.

If anyone in the UK is interested in acquiring an "as-new" IBM
MP3000-H50 (no internal DASD) for the cost of packing and shipping then
get in touch by a personal email, otherwise its going to be recycled for
parts. (Subject to any legal niceties as well of course).

Just in case Peter Relson is listening, then you can have back the
Customer Anchor Table slot #51 (X'C8'-X'CB') that you kindly allocated
us back in 1996 !

Many thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Leist
Norfolk County Council

The information contained in this email is intended only for the person or
organization to which it is addressed.  If you have received it by mistake,
please disregard and notify the sender immediately.  Unauthorized disclosure or
use of such information may be a breach of legislation or confidentiality and
may be legally privileged.

Emails sent from and received by Members and employees of Norfolk County
Council may be monitored.  They may also be disclosed to other people under
legislation, particularly the Freedom Of Information Act 2000.

Unless this email relates to Norfolk County Council business it will be
regarded by the Council as personal and will not be authorized by or sent on
behalf of the Council.  The sender will have sole responsibility for any legal
actions or disputes that may arise.