There is one left. Even if the data is physically striped on the DASD,
when you read an unstriped, in z/OS's view, disk dataset, you do a
single I/O operation. If you use z/OS striping, you do multiple I/Os
(one to each stripe), which hopefully means that you wait less for the
I/O operation. The same on a write. I.e. the amount of data concurrently
transferred is greater. Of course, if you have my luck, each stripe
(z/OS DASD volume) will end up being on the same physical back end DASD
and nothing will be prefetched in cache either. "If it weren't for bad
luck, I'd have no luck at all."

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.