Rick,

While the arrays have all this parallelism built in so that sequential IO is
pre-fetched concurrently from many disks into the cache (on some RAID
designs), the effectiveness is somewhat discounted when this massively
parallel data stream from disk to cache is transferred one SSCH at a time on
one channel at a time from cache to host.

While PAV provides a degree of parallelism at the volume and dataset level,
it does not provide any parallelism at requesting program level. Using wide
striping with striped datasets (RAID-0) means that the buffers can be
processing reads and writes to many volumes in parallel across many
channels. In simple terms, a four way striped dataset can be processed up to
four times faster than an un-striped dataset.

The other advantage of striping, especially wide striping, is prevention or
mitigation of hot spots. Even with PAV we have all seen how the reporting
phase of batch processing can bog down when the new master file is suddenly
hammered by 25 reporting programs. There are a few ways to relieve this such
as IO avoidance with DLF, or creating clone datasets with FCV2 or similar.
Another way is to stripe the dataset so that the IO is spread across many
volumes, paths, and usually more disk drives.

This is the whole logic behind LDEV Striping (HDS parlance). Array Groups
with 4 disk drives, RAID-5 and 10, do not handle hot spots as well as Array
Groups with 8 disk drives. LDEV striping allows volumes to be striped over
16 or 32 disk, which in turn reduce skew and soften the hot spots that
create sibling pend. The same logic applies to striped datasets.

RAID-0 datasets for random activity need no explanation - it is just better
than sliced bread.

Ron